Friday, November 16, 2018

Trader Joe's Pepita Salsa


This is a new Trader Joe's item, likely seasonal (and maybe even gone by now). It's basically an unremarkable salsa list of ingredients--tomatoes, onions, red bell pepper puree--until you get to the "dry roasted pepitas," i.e., pumpkin seeds. They are finely chopped, so don't expect to find any pepitas identifiable as such. I honestly couldn't detect any flavor contribution from them. Nor could Nina.

The jar lacks the usual TJ's thermometer indicating the degree of heat, but it's up there--maybe the hottest salsa I've had from them. I ate half of the jar one evening around 7 p.m., and by midnight I was having trouble sleeping because my stomach was still gassy in reaction. No other salsa has ever done that to me before.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I liked it OK, but not a new favorite.

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited to try this and it was just waaaay to spicy for me! I was slightly annoyed they had zero indication of how hot this was on the label. I ended up giving it to my neighbor friends who enjoy hot stuff.
    Ttrockwood
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete