Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Trader Joe's Waxed Cotton Food Wraps


Feel a twinge of guilt every time you use some Saran Wrap to cover your leftovers? Well, here's one alternative, new from Trader Joe's.

They're like dish cloths that have been massively starched--thickened and stiff. So much so, in fact, that they're difficult to unfold and put in place. But it's not starch; it's wax.

Here's the largest one in use over some leftover brownies in an 8" x 8" glass baking dish:


I could and should have used the medium-sized one, but I didn't notice the dimensions on the wrapper until it was too late, and I guessed wrong as to which one would fit best. Still, you can see that the cloth does mold around the edges of the dish.

But it takes work. It took me about three minutes of stretching and shaping the waxed cloth to get it to adhere this well. The wax takes that time to respond to the heat of your hands in order to conform to the contours it's meant to cover. And it's still not airtight. In this case it doesn't really need to be, and my brownies were adequately prevented from drying out for the four days it took me to finish them off. But if, e.g., you had an ant problem and needed to keep all food items securely covered, this would not do; there's plenty of small gaps through which air and ants can move. With clingy plastic wrap, you can eliminate such openings in just a few seconds.

The directions on the back of the wrapper say that these can be hand-washed and re-used. I have not tried that yet. And frankly, I probably won't. Maybe it says something terrible about me as a person, but spending three minutes molding a stiff, heavy, waxed cloth over leftovers in order to prevent adding a couple of grams of plastic to a landfill just doesn't feel like a good use of my time.


Will I buy it again? 

No. In fact, I'm pretty likely to take these back for a refund. They're expensive, and I can't imagine continuing to use them, when I have alternatives. Plastic wrap and aluminum foil both work better and faster, for very little money. I use a lot of plastic containers; the cheap ones that are called "disposable" can actually be used many, many times before they wear out. (I bought my current ones five years ago, and have used them dozens of times each.) I also often just leave leftovers in the Corelle bowls and cover the bowls with a matching plate for the refrigerator, creating zero waste, and at zero cost. I think all of these options are better than waxed cloth, at least for my personal needs and circumstances.

7 comments:

  1. Similar experience here... i just found them too difficult to use and not actually air tight. I use primarily foil and parchment paper, and plenty of reusable containers to cut down as much as i can on using plastic wrap- but ultimately i returned these as well.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some, and also found them to be way too stiff! Previously, I have used BEES WRAP to cover my food, but these were right there, and so colorful! The BEES WRAP is great; much more pliable and it molds really well. I have used the same 6 pieces for about a year, often wash them in cold water and hang to dry. Please try these, you'll feel much better about not adding to plastic and aluminum foil waste in our landfills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave up without really trying.
    It's not difficult or time consuming - and definitely worth the effort!
    These wraps are great to use and reduce a lot of ordinary waste. The long term eco-benefits serve a real purpose.
    I hope you'll revisit this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. unfortunately, another member of my family stuck the container with the wax cloth in the microwave. now i have wax which i cannot remove on three different dishes. so instead of saving from the landfill one small sheet of plastic wrap, i have three large bowls to add instead. incredibly impractical in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also will be returning mine, which I got as a gift. i tried the small one on a bowl,. after letting it warm up in the kitchen for two days and it was too stiff to do anything...I don't have three minutes to press a wrap onto anything...there must be a better way..mine also came with really deep creases where it was folded. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such a different experience than everyone else on here. I loved these so much, and told everyone about them. I wanted to buy some for gifts, but by then TJ’s had started carrying a new one, way stiffer and in a roll, and I’ve been trying to find the old ones ever since with no success. I’ve been using mine daily and happily for probably 2 years now and they are definitely wearing out now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Call out to Trader Joes - what can one do to make your wraps usable?

    ReplyDelete