Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter Cups


The buzz about this is that it's a healthier alternative to the classic Reese's. I think that's bunk. ("Bunk," by the way, is derived from the name of the politician for whom Buncombe County, North Carolina--where I now live--was named.) I see no reason to believe that sunflower seed "butter" is better for you (or less bad for you) than peanut butter.

It certainly has less flavor. The center of these candy cups has sort of a buttery texture, but little discernible taste--very unlike peanut butter. I got the sense of just eating congealed vegetable oil surrounded (or, in Trader Joe's favorite word, "enrobed") by dark chocolate.

Nina and I each had one. I finished mine, reluctantly. She took two bites and refused to have more, sensibly saying that there's no point eating chocolate that is not enjoyable.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me strangely happy to hear your low opinion of these! I seriously can’t find them anywhere- the past few trips to TJs they’re out of stock so i figured that in combination with other reviews that were so positive meant that they were mind blowing fantastic!
    I consoled myself with the newish dark chocolate almond butter mini cups which made me very happy- just like TJs pb version so the chocolate layer is quite thick but i like that.
    If/when i see these i’ll certainly buy a packet but in the meantime maybe I’m not really missing out.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete