Friday, February 22, 2019

Trader Joe's Broccoli & Kale Pizza Crust



"I don't think that ever in the history of pizza has anybody said, 'What I need is broccoli and kale in my pizza crust.'"

So said Nina last night after trying a few bites of this. I had made a pizza with this crust, TJ's Fat Free Pizza Sauce, TJ's Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, and my favorite fake chicken strips, from Beyond Meat.

In that configuration, I found that the corn flour of the pizza crust came through more than the broccoli and kale, but I could taste those portions if I cut off a little piece of the crust and ate it without the toppings.

Physically, the crust held up well, with no significant sogginess.

Because of a long history of TJ's frozen foods requiring longer in the oven than specified on the package, I maxed out the baking times from the ranges suggested in the directions. Here's my advice: Don't do that. I seriously overcooked it, and we had burnt edges all around. Go with the minimum suggested times.


Will I buy it again? 

A week ago, I didn't know that broccoli & kale pizza crust existed, and had never even imagined that it could exist. I would be happy to subject myself to the memory-erasing flasher thing from "Men In Black" and return to that state of blissful ignorance.


via GIPHY

In other words, no.

If you want or need a gluten-free pizza crust, TJ's own cauliflower-based one is better. It's both more neutral in flavor, and, well, not green. Pizza crust should not be green.

2 comments:

  1. I think i literally rolled my eyes at this in the store. When I’m craving pizza some kind of fake crust veggie base is just not going to be satisfying. I also suspect i would eat a good bit more of it and therefore negate any calorie savings.
    Sometimes i feel like the last person on earth still eating carbs but i’ll keep using the naan when i need to make myself an individual pizza
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered purchasing one of those ovens that allows you to open it before the cooking time is up so you can check on the progress, and well, if the edges are beginning to burn, you can take the food out? You should look into it, I believe they are sold pretty much every where.

    ReplyDelete