Friday, February 1, 2019

Trader Joe's Smoked Salmon Trio


I bought this even though I have never before eaten smoked salmon (as far as I can recall, anyway), and even though I had no idea what I might do with it. I ended up sharing it with Nina on Triscuit crackers as a late-afternoon snack before we went off to a yoga class. I did not ever think that my lifestyle would involve smoked salmon and yoga, but here we are.

The fish here is thinly sliced, very tender, and can be pulled or cut apart with ease.

I liked the dill best, maybe just because it was the most distinctive, combining two familiar flavors that I had never put together before.

Neither of us could taste the expected beet flavor in the middle one, though its effect on the color was obvious. Nina said that this was her favorite of the three, simply because it was excellent lox--never mind the presence or absence of beetiness.

I thought that I would like the black pepper best, but was disappointed to find that the pepper flavor was mostly AWOL.


Will I buy it again? 

No. It was an interesting experiment, but I just don't like salmon enough to buy more. I gave the leftovers to Nina, who is a much bigger consumer of fish than I will ever be. She wanted to try it on crackers less salty than the Triscuits.

1 comment:

  1. Surprised you haven’t had smoked salmon before! The nordic cultures are enthusiastic about serving lox and gravlax (unsmoked but cured salmon) with dill, ikea actually sells a great dill mustard that is supposed to go with the gravlax but i love for other uses
    I know the pastrami seasoned smoked salmon at TJs is really popular, i would expect that has some serious spices. I think smoked salmon is commonly served with cream cheese on a bagel to temper some of the saltiness
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete