Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Trader Joe's Organic Power To The Greens



Here's what Trader Joe's said about this product in an issue of the Fearless Flyer last year:
In a world, where some speak of super foods, and many whisper of wellness, only Trader Joe's has the power to change your life… one leaf at a time. Trader Joe's Organic Power to the Greens will make you better, stronger, faster, causing a rift in the time-space continuum that will give you eternal youth and the strength of a thousand men.* 
*Not really. We made that up. 
That's a lot to live up to. I have not yet noticed having gained the strength of a thousand men. Ten, maybe, but not a thousand.

However, this stuff does contribute to a nice salad. I didn't even try eating it alone, because the combination of spinach, kale, and chard, without dilution by more mild components like lettuce, I just knew would be like eating lawn clippings. I tossed it with a bag of TJ's butter lettuce and radicchio. Together they made a salad that was easy to eat, and had just enough of an edge of seriousness that it felt like I was being infused with at least a trickle of superpowers. It wasn't quite Popeye downing a can of spinach, but it was close enough--and I don't think I could do that anyway.

The bitterness from the kale and chard made the overall taste a little less easy to enjoy than when I mixed the same lettuce/radicchio base with TJ's baby spinach. But there was a lot more crunch and variety of textures and colors this way, and probably a better assortment of nutrients, too, though I didn't look into that.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I think this two-bag blend I concocted is an excellent salad. I think I might play with it further, adding this and that and the other thing, and see what happens.


Nina's View

The Catalina dressing is in the trash bin and Bob is tinkering with salad composition. My work here is done. \o/


Addendum 

In the months since the above was written, I have continued to buy a bag of this stuff almost every week. Combined with any one of a few different TJ's bags of lettuce, it is a salad combo that I nearly always have in my refrigerator. Highly recommended. 

1 comment:

  1. I made a quiche with a bag of this, green onions, bacon pieces, and the Swiss/gruyere combo I get at TJs. It was amazing!!! What a delicious way to get one's greens!

    ReplyDelete