Monday, August 11, 2014

Trader Joe's Vegetable Fried Rice



This stuff was OK, but unremarkable. As it seems is par for the Trader Joe's course, they went for exceptionally blandified as far as spices and flavoring go. It was as easy to prepare as promised--dump it in a bowl and zap it, without even the need to add water. Actual stir-frying is also an option, though I doubt that a little vegetable oil added in preparation would change much about the final result.

Will I buy it again? 

Maybe. But only if I forget how forgettable it was.


Nina’s View

I have always rather enjoyed fried rice, but feel like a fool either buying it or ordering it in a restaurant. First of all, I’ve been given to understand it’s not really an Asian (or specifically Chinese) dish at all, but rather something invented in Chinese restaurants in America for white people who don’t know how to eat steamed rice (or, apparently, vegetables). Second, it’s absurdly easy to make with the leftovers of the steamed rice you made for yesterday’s meal.

So, I’m virtually never buying this stuff, even it were supertasty. Which it is not.

What is it with the lack of seasoning, Joe? Fried rice lives and dies by GARLIC, GINGER, AND SOY SAUCE. To make this prepared stuff at all interesting, I’d have to tart it up considerably with the aforementioned flavorings. I would also definitely sauté it in plenty of hot oil (seasoned with those spices) because, as we have been told many times by ze chefs (can you ‘ear ze Fransh ackson?), fat=flavor and browning=even more flavor.

But, bottom line: frozen fried rice in a bag. Nuh uh. Not happening.


Next post: Vegetable Root Chips 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't eaten fried rice from Trader Joe's. I either buy it from Thai Curry (a restaurant in Paramount) or I cook my own. Do you cook fried rice at home?

    ReplyDelete