Friday, February 13, 2015

Trader Joe's Unsweetened Apple Sauce With Added Calcium & Vitamin C



I try to photograph every new TJ's product I bring home before putting it away. Once in while, one slips by me. That was the case here. I didn't notice that I didn't have a picture of it until I sat down to write this post, which is why you're seeing a partially used jar instead of a brand-new one. Oh well.

Anyway, as mentioned in yesterday's post, I bought this specifically to compare side-by-side with TJ's unsweetened Gravenstein applesauce. It seemed strange that one store would have two different unsweetened applesauces--why bother?

Now that I've tried them at the same time, I think the "why bother?" question should be asked of this one, not the Gravenstein. The latter is vastly superior.

To be clear, this stuff isn't bad. If I hadn't been trying it competitively against its shelf-mate, I would have judged it to be good.

But put it up against the Gravenstein, and it hasn't got a prayer. It's sort of like how a Corvette seems like a fine sports car, until you step out of it and into a Ferrari. The Gravenstein tastes fresher, more complex, more alive. Paradoxically, it is simultaneously sweeter and tarter than the one pictured here. It's also a tad more expensive--$2.29 for 24 ounces compared to $1.99 for 25 ounces here--but so much better that you shouldn't even stop to wonder if you should go for the cheaper one. Trust me: you shouldn't.

Will I buy it again? 

Not as long as TJ's puts the Gravenstein version on its shelves. All that this stuff did for me is reinforce my decision that the Gravenstein is the only applesauce I want in my house ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment