Sunday, October 4, 2015

Trader Joe's Broccoli & Kale Slaw



Stop the presses! Last week saw such a profusion of new and seasonal products that I had to relegate a whole week's worth of pre-written blog posts to a later date, in order to make room to tell you about the more urgent stuff. We have seven days of reviews of products that are brand new, only seasonally available, or both. For lack of a catchier moniker, let's call this NEW AND SEASONAL PRODUCTS WEEK. 


This is a brand-new product at Trader Joe's. See the company's description of it here.

The chopped broccoli was fine. The kale was fine. The dried cherries and blueberries added a nice bit of fruity sweetness to the mix. I don't much like almonds, so that component was a negative for me. The dressing was OK.

So I didn't actively dislike much of anything about this. Yet the whole left me unimpressed. I'm not sure I even have a coherent reason. It's just that I kept looking at it on my plate and not wanting to eat more of it. I finished a normal serving size, but more through a sense of resignation to it than liking of it.

Will I buy it again? 

No.


Nina's View

The dressing was dire.

The mix was okay.

The rest of it is in my fridge and will be served mixed with some tender greens to Bob when he comes to dinner tonight. With better dressing.

2 comments:

  1. Why can't TJs make good salad dressing??? I tried the dressing and tossed it. Since raw kale is not so great i added some of my own vinegrette to the greens and massaged it in really well and let sit a few hours (it gets better overnight) before adding the other "stuff". Tasty enough and with some added baked tofu it made a healthy cheap lunch.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. The dressings in nearly all of their salad "kits" have been pretty dreadful.

    ReplyDelete