Sunday, October 25, 2015

Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette With Gorgonzola



This falls into the category of "things that by rights I ought to like--but actually don't." It seems like a great idea. After all, I like other fruity vinaigrettes--raspberry, strawberry, cranberry, pomegranate. So if we assume that the champagne is basically a white grape juice added to a pear vinaigrette, and then they've thrown in a little cheese, it's all stuff I like. Winner! At least in theory.

But not in practice. I tried this on four salads, spaced several days apart, and never liked it. On the fourth one, I gave up, decided I never wanted to have this again, and the bottle became one of only a handful of items I have returned to the store for a refund because it was that or throw it away.

(While the young lady was writing out the refund credit slip, I said, "This stuff sounds like it should be really good, but it just isn't." She had kind of a grim look and replied, "Yeah, it's not great.")

It bothers me that I can't put a finger on what it is that I didn't like. It was not the pear component, which is clearly the dominant note. There was something else in the background that struck me as really unpleasant, and I didn't recognize it. I've never had Gorgonzola cheese, so I'm suspicious that that was the culprit. But it's just a guess.

Will I buy it again? 

Nosireebob.


2 comments:

  1. Gorgonzola tastes and smells like unwashed feet so it probably was the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the canola oil. I can taste it in nearly anything- it's common in bottled salad dressings. And yucky.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete