Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Trader Joe's Organic Carrot Coconut & Ginger Soup



This is Day 3 of New and Seasonal Products Week. 


I think this is a new Trader Joe's product. I had looked over the refrigerated soup selection many, many times without seeing it before, and the selection there is small enough that I feel reasonably confident that I would have noticed it. Also, I find nothing online about it anywhere, whereas with any product that has been around for more than a few weeks, lots of descriptions and photos come up in a search. (TJ's has long had a similar but non-refrigerated product: carrot ginger soup, without the coconut. Clearly not the same thing, but it's all that comes up in a Google search.) However: There has been no new-product announcement on the TJ's web site, and I saw no "new product" sign on the shelf at my local store the way they usually do for new things. So I remain slightly uncertain about its newness.

Anyway, if you haven't tried this, you're not missing much. It's dull. The carrot component is reasonably prominent. But I had to try hard to find any ginger flavor. And I could not detect any coconut--which is the part I was most looking forward to--no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that it was present.

One-note. Boring. Forgettable.

Will I buy it again? 

No.


Nina's View

Short version: Nina's Bottom Ten has a new denizen.

Longer version: Oh ugh. I actually expected to like this. I like carrots. I like ginger. I like coconut. I can easily envisage a soup with all those ingredients that is yummy.

Senator, this is not that soup.

I don't know whether the carrots in this batch were unusually bitter, or there was some other colossal fail in preparation here, but I found this basically inedible. I had three spoonfuls and gave up. 

2 comments:

  1. Those refrigerated soups consistently suck. The gazpacho they had this summer was especially tragic.
    Too bad, this sounds like a yummy combo!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree - if you had a bad carrot batch, I must have too. In theory, you can eat it hot or cold, but I did not enjoy either. TJ's has rarely led me astray, but this time it was a bust.

    ReplyDelete