Monday, October 12, 2015

Trader Joe's Pumpkin Tortilla Chips



I thought these would be a lot like the recently introduced Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips--except, y'know, with pumpkin in place of sweet potato.

Nope. Not even close.

The difference is made primarily by the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg, which change the overall flavor profile much more than would the simple substitution of pumpkin for sweet potato--and not in a good way. I like cinnamon and nutmeg, but they seemed completely out of place here.

Also, the chips seemed a lot more brittle than most tortilla chips. They kept breaking off in my hummus, instead of scooping the stuff up neatly.

Will I buy it again? 

No. This one is a fail in my book.


Nina's View

The trick with these chips is to banish from your sense-memory anything have to do with tortilla chips. These are not hardly at all corny. Once you do that, you may find some merit in them. I wish they'd dialed back the cinnamon and nutmeg a wee bit, but I was surprised that I found it mostly pleasant.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were brave enough to try these. Now that you've eaten them and proclaimed them a FAIL I don't feel the need to try em!

    ReplyDelete