Saturday, October 24, 2015

Trader Joe's Mac 'n Cheese (frozen)



I'm not sure how Nina and I have gone so long without trying this. After all, we're both long-time macaroni-and-cheese lovers, and it's one of Trader Joe's perennial best-sellers. But we finally indulged at dinner last night.

I went for the oven method rather than the microwave method, on the theory that it's generally better. In this particular case, I'm sure it is. The oven gave a lovely and delightful slightly crispy browning to the top of the cheese, which is layered on top of the pasta. As usual for TJ's freezer-to-oven products, heat it longer than the box recommends. It specifies 25-35 minutes. I say go for 40.

I liked the result a lot. The cheese is far better than any boxed product. As you can see from the labeling shown in the photo above, it's a combination of cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, and Havarti.

It will satisfy all your cravings for fat--this stuff is loaded to the gills with butter--and salt. No wonder I see people on Twitter saying it's the most comforting of all comfort foods.

The one disadvantage of this product over box mixes is that it's harder to customize it with your own added ingredients the way I like to do. But if you can skip that, I think this is about the best mac & cheese you can buy at a store.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I don't think I'll have it become my go-to mac and cheese, primarily because I could feel my arteries clogging with every bite of the cheesy, buttery pasta. But I did finish my portion craving more, so I think it's an itch I'll have to scratch once in a while.


Nina's View

As a person attempting to reduce dairy intake, this product is by its very nature essentially a no-go. But even if it weren't, I'm not sure I'd rave about it. Granted, it gets a nice golden crust. And it's appropriately—nay, luxuriously—cheesy.

But it's also quite bland. The vaunted cheeses just don't register with me. And it's rather goopy.

I think, all in all, I'd rather have the boxed Organic Mac 'n' Cheese. (I know, I'm shocked too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment