Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Trader Joe's Green Plant Green Food Juice Blend



This is the most unappetizing color I've ever seen in a juice. It looks like swamp water. I used to work in a hospital, so I've seen lots of people with gastric suction tubes, and the stuff that gets pulled out of stomachs looks a lot like this juice. It's so gross that it made me seriously hesitant to taste it.

Once I did, however, it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. What with the spirulina, barley grass, powdered broccoli, etc., I had guessed that it was going to be in the lawn-clippings taste category--and the brown-green color did nothing to dispel that assumption. But it's actually more sweet than grassy. The dominant flavor is the peach puree, which is the second ingredient, after the apple juice that seems to form the base of nearly every Trader Joe's juice variety. Supposedly, there is pineapple juice and mango juice also present, but I can't taste them.

For having ten different ingredients that should each contribute a distinct flavor, the end product is bizarrely one-note, namely a weird peachyish-but-not-quite-really-peach thing. To use a musical analogy, this isn't a harmonious chord, with identifiable individual components, but the kind of sound you get by mashing your hand down on a bunch of adjacent piano keys.

It's not the worst juice we've had, but it's generally unappealing.

Will I buy it again? 

Never.


Nina's View

Oh, ugh. Must we have something that resembles primordial muck in our glasses in order to feel good about ourselves?

I think not.

Bob's description of the flavor is correct, but leaves out the most important thing about this juice, which is that absolutely nothing about it tastes fresh. The vegetables are presented in the form of POWDERS. The juices are from concentrate. Any pretense of healthfulness is just out the window from the overall staleness and lack of luster.

If you want some fine-tasting green sludge, get the cold-pressed expensive juices. They might even be good for you. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Actually this is TJs version of the Odwalla best seller "superfood" juice
    http://www.odwalla.com/products/smoothies/original-superfood
    Only thankfully without banana. Both are waaaaayy too sweet for me and with so much fruit (and sugar!) how healthy it is could be debated... But odwalla sells for $4-5/16oz and TJs is almost the exact same product.
    The green pressed cold juice is pretty good but won't stop me from making my own
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete