Sunday, May 29, 2016

Trader Joe's Organic Split Pea Soup


We've been kind of neglecting the new items lately, so it's time to focus on them with seven reviews in a row. Yes, that means it's another New Products Week! 


This is a brand-new product; no information posted about it on TJ's web site yet. $1.99.

I wish the actual soup looked as good as it does on the package. Instead, it's a monochrome, unappetizing, green glop. It's so thick that it actually comes out of the box as a solid, retaining the shape of its former container until heated.

The taste isn't much better. It's bland, with something weirdly off. If I were fed this without knowing what the main ingredient was, would I correctly identify it as "peas"? I'm not sure--it's a close call.


Will I buy it again? 

No. It is mediocre at best.

4 comments:

  1. This was literally the single worst item I have ever purchased from TJ's. I had it for lunch today and the taste was so off-putting I couldn't eat dinner. I still had the horrible aftertaste from this stuff coming through everything else. Their canned vegan split pea was wonderful. Sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this for lunch yesterday at work. First of all, the liquid came out first, then the rest in a big massive congealed "plop". Secondly, it was SO SALTY!!! There was also a spice of some kind that was just...wrong. Especially for a split pea soup. Lastly...the OIL!!! Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe how oily it was!

    I was sick the whole day afterward, and once wound up vomiting a bit and spit it into the lake where I work and you would not BELIEVE the oil sheen that rose up from it!

    NEVER AGAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very disappointed...agree was very turned off by the solid glop that came out of the box. Then to make it worse it does has some odd taste to it that I can’t describe? Possibly some chemical to preserve? Ugh...definitely won’t buy again.

    ReplyDelete