Friday, May 13, 2016

Trader Joe's Spinach & Kale Bites



These are, as the name implies, basically just balls of chopped spinach and kale. They are held together by egg and bread crumbs as a binder, with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top (which I could neither see nor taste), plus a little onion (fortunately not detectable), salt, and pepper.

I found these to be tolerable, though short of enjoyable. However, if you grade on a curve, I'd say that these bites are among the better ways I've experienced eating spinach and kale.


Will I buy it again? 

No. But it's nice to know that spinach and kale can be made palatable in ways other than as part of a salad.


Nina's View


I thought these were pretty good. I think they were a tad over-baked, and thus less succulent than would be optimal.

[Bob notes: That was my fault. At the end of the prescribed baking time, I thought they didn't feel as hot to the touch as they should, so I gave them another 5 minutes. This decision was probably influenced by having so many previous TJ's products needing more oven time than the label says. I maybe should have just gone with the directions instead of my not-so-keen culinary instincts.]

1 comment:

  1. My opinion is: If you had fine culinary instincts, you'd steer very, very clear of Anything & Kale Bites.

    ReplyDelete