Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Trader Joe's Aloo Chaat Kati Pouches


This is one of what must be many, many items at Trader Joe's that have been around for a long time (this one at least since 2013, I've discovered) but that have somehow escaped my attention over dozens of shopping trips. Nina had had them before and was surprised that I had not.

I didn't know what "aloo chaat" meant. (Answer: "savory potato snack," roughly.) I didn't know what "kati" meant. (Answer: "mostly any wrap containing a filling enfolded in an Indian flatbread (roti) is called a kati roll.") But I thought they looked pretty good, so I bought a box.

I liked them even more than I thought I would. First, the kati wrap came out pleasantly crisp. I was simultaneously heating up two other things that called for a 375-degree oven--the same as the directions for these pouches--so it was convenient to use the oven method. People who have tried the microwave alternative have had disappointing results, even with the use of the "crisping sleeves" that TJ's provides.

The filling was surprisingly tasty, having somehow evaded the evil workings of the Trader Joe's Blandification Committee. You get a pleasingly complex panoply of tastes and textures, with some actual kick of a seemingly authentic Indian variety. I was relieved to discover that the included onions were so few and muted as to be ignorable. One pouch was a sufficient main course for dinner.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. It immediately became one of my favorite TJ's Indian selections.

2 comments:

  1. It’s been a while since i bought these but I remember them as tasty- this is a great reminder i should buy some again! I seem to get the vegan tikka masala on a regular basis as my favorite of the frozen indian options
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for quick lunch at work where microwave is available.

    ReplyDelete