Monday, July 18, 2016

Trader Joe's Beef-Less Strips



This is a superior meat substitute product, made primarily from a combination of soy protein and wheat gluten. It sautees quickly and easily. The result has both good texture and good flavor.

After trying the strips unadorned (i.e., sauteed in just vegetable oil) the first time, for a second tasting I cooked them in some barbecue sauce, making a BBQ fake-beef sandwich, which was also excellent. Given the dominance of the sauce, I would never have known I was dealing with a vegan product instead of something that used to moo.

I am now a bit disgusted with myself that I'm two years into this TJ's blogging thing before getting around to this little-publicized gem of a product. I wish I had found it earlier. I am going to make it a staple item to keep in the freezer at all times.


Will I buy it again? 

Many times, I expect.


Nina's View

I like them too.


Update

Bad news: Apparently the package I bought was one of the last to be produced. The product has now been discontinued. So I guess I won't be buying it again, even though I want to.

5 comments:

  1. I've never even seen this there but the fake chicken product is also very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree. See http://exploringtraderjoes.blogspot.com/2014/10/recipe-spicy-miso-sesame-chickenless.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they are just reformulating it or something, TJs is such a vegetarian friendly place i hate to see these go away forever.
    Those chickenless strips are good although not the same.
    Oh, and I recently read confirmation that TJs meatless balls are just relabeled Nate's brand (they're in my top ten :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked out the nutrition on Fooducate and, in the comments, it sounds like they were discontinued. I hope they've brought them back. One person who commented sautéed them in TJ's teriyaki sauce with Asian veggies. Another good way to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never see either the beef-less or chicken-less strips in the store in my city. I think they are discontinued, unfortunately.

      Delete