Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Trader Joe's Light Vanilla Ice Cream



This is not great ice cream. But then again, you wouldn't expect it to be, when you read that it has 80% less fat than TJ's premium vanilla ice cream. The flavor is decent, but the texture is missing all that richness. It reminds me of the "ice milk" that was kind of a big thing back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Still, if you put some sort of good topping on it, it's certainly passable. I suppose there may come a day when a cardiologist tells me that I have to drastically cut back on my total fat intake, in which case a product like this will probably seem like the best I can allow myself, and I'll be happy to have it.

In the meantime, I want better.


Will I buy it again? 

Not until after my first heart attack.

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting because I finally bought a quart of Trader Joe's French Vanilla Ice Cream which was AMAZING. I'm sad to hear that this one isn't even close because it would be nice to have a healthier option. I refuse to even bother looking at the nutrition facts of the French Vanilla one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frozen greek yogurt is a tasty lower cal/fat option that is nice and creamy. But i usually get the coconut milk ice cream which isn't low fat or low cal but it's also a plant based fat source which from what I understand is metabolized by the body differently than animal fats
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete