Sunday, July 31, 2016

Trader Joe's Pergamena Di Pane Guttiau Sardinian Parchment Crackers



I thought this might be a new Trader Joe's product, because I've looked over the selection of crackers dozens of times without ever noticing it. But a little online search shows that it has been available for years.

It's probably good that I failed to find it earlier. Because I love it and I would eat it all--and because the crackers have heavy doses of olive oil, I would get fat. (Per serving size of 2 crackers, you get 120 calories and 5 grams of fat. Four servings per box.)

These are among the tastiest crackers I have ever had. How good? Well, Nina and I together ate four of these with hummus as an appetizer before dinner. What she doesn't know (until she reads this) is that soon after she left, I sat down and ate the rest of them with still more hummus. I find them irresistible.

Now, these are not the most practical crackers ever made. What makes them unique is their extraordinary thinness:




That makes it tricky to use them to scoop up dense hummus, or (I presume, without trying) stack meats and cheeses on. Surprisingly, however, they do break quite cleanly just about anywhere you want to snap off a piece, without the whole thing shattering.

But they taste so good that I wave off any niggling gripes about practicality or fat content, and elevate them to my Top Ten list.


Will I buy it again? 

Many times, I hope.


Nina's View

These are really good—good enough that they require no adornment to be endlessly munchable. The texture is truly papery and flaky, and entirely delightful. If I were still eating congealed cow-pain, I would recommend a super-thin slice of a nice parmesan to go with them.

I think hummus and other thick dips are a mistake. Just eat the crackers.

2 comments:

  1. These are SO good..!! The nutritional stats aren't that bad at all, basically the same as a slice of bread. I like them topped with a few thin slices of tomato or with soup
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, try vegetarian Parmesan whole foods sells it.

    ReplyDelete