Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Trader Joe's Collier's Welsh Cheddar Cheese



The reason I picked this particular cheese from all of the many choices available on my last visit to TJ's is that in four days (as I write this, on August 12), I'm going to be leaving for a two-week tour of the British Isles, including Wales. So when I saw "Welsh" in the name and "product of Wales" on the label, I thought I'd have some, sort of in anticipatory celebration. I admit that that's a pretty dumb reason to choose cheese, but that's what happened.

It's perfectly lovely cheese--firm but not hard, easy to slice without falling apart, flavorful but not overpowering. I have no idea what the label means when it promises a "slight hint of crunchiness." I sure didn't notice any, nor would I have wanted to. (Crunchy things do not belong in cheese. So let it be written, so let it be done.)

However, I found it indistinguishable from just about every other white cheddar cheese I've ever had. Maybe I could tell something different about it in a side-by-side comparison with another one, but just drawing on memory, it fades into the long line of white cheddars in my past. Maybe a little more on the mild than sharp end of the spectrum, but other than that, not particularly memorable.

Will I buy it again? 

Maybe. I have no reason not to. But then again, I really have no reason to, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment