Thursday, February 22, 2018

Trader Joe's Carrot Spirals


These are, as the name implies, just long carrot shavings (with a bit of salt added). Trader Joe's suggests using them as a substitute for spaghetti. (See here.) Nina agrees. She thought they were "nice" and worked well in that role.

I guess I'm more basic. I just thought they tasted like mediocre carrot shreds, and seemed like an odd choice for a faux pasta. I like carrots, but I prefer them raw, with all the crunch intact.

But I can see the other side of it. If it's important to you to avoid gluten and/or carbs, maybe you should give these "spirals" a try in place of spaghetti.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

2 comments:

  1. I tried these twice and didn't care for them. The texture was weird...too crunchy in some ways, yet too chewy in others. Didn't really work as a noodle sub for me. I prefer Veggie Noodle Co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a sucker for new stuff st TJs! I bought these and because i am certainly not gluten free or paleo (vegetarian with lactose issues is enough thankyouverymuch) so i made a half portion of “real” pasta and while that boiled I sauteed these spirals with some garlic and onion. The pasta and carrot/onion mix landed in my bowl with a big handful of hemp seeds and some of that vegan cashew pesto. Made for a tasty meal in maybe ten minutes! I don’t think i would have been hapy with just the carrot spirals but I certainly had less pasta than usual and it kept me just as full.
    So i’ll probably buy them again to use this way
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete