Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Trader Joe's Beef-less Ground Beef


Nina and I have used this stuff on several occasions, so I think it's past due for a review.

Most recently I used it to top some spaghetti. After light browning in oil, it serves well for this purpose. It doesn't add much in terms of taste, but it adds both protein and texture to pasta with sauce.

I think I like it a little less than MorningStar's "crumbles," but it's not much of a difference. Either will do well as a substitute for ground beef in recipes. This is the kind of product that makes a vegetarian diet seem feasible to me.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes, regularly.


Nina's View


I find this bland to point of nullity. I distinctly prefer the Morningstar version. I like Boca crumbles too. All this stuff does is add a vaguely meaty texture to dishes. To make it more interesting requires the addition of significant flavorings. Garlic. Onion. Peppers. Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment