Friday, October 13, 2017

Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley


This is an unusual mix of brown rice, black barley, and something I had never heard of before: daikon radish seeds.

The non-rice components apparently make it slower to cook than plain rice, as you can infer from the cooking directions seen above. I still wanted to use my rice cooker, so I improvised by using about 50% more water than prescribed for plain rice. That worked well enough.

The result is really nice, with a pleasing mix of colors, flavors, and textures. It feels much fancier than plain brown rice.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. Plain rice is fine (and cheaper) for everyday use, but I think this will be a first choice when I want to make something a little more interesting and elegant for dinner guests.

2 comments:

  1. I really love this blend for soups and stews in the winter. It's more hearty and flavorful than white rice and the barkey texture is great and holds up well to reheating too.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those who prefer white rice to brown rice, this rice pairs well with White Basmati rice. Simply add 1/4 cup of the Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley with 3/4 c of White Basmati rice.
    Add approx. 2 1/4 c water to steam.

    ReplyDelete