Monday, October 29, 2018

Trader Joe's Mini Chicken Tikka Samosas


I'm still very much hit-and-miss on Indian food. I approach it skeptically, worried that it will be too spicy or have too much onion. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I get pleasantly surprised. It's a good strategy, because either I get my prejudices confirmed or I get a tasty meal--and I feel good either way!

These were in the surprisingly good category. I baked them 18 minutes instead of the recommended maximum of 16, based on way too much experience with Trader Joe's underestimating frozen-to-serving cook time. I think I was right to do so. The texture came out perfectly, with delightfully crispy outer pastry (far better than one would expect from a frozen product), but nothing scorched.

The insides were pleasantly spicy--not too much.

Complaints: 1. Serving size of two samosas? TWO? Are you serious? I had six (half of the box) as the main part of my lunch and could have had at least a couple more. On a day with a bigger appetite, I could have eaten all 12--and I weigh only 150 pounds. This is one of the most egregious portion-size misrepresentations I've seen from TJ's. 2. They had an odd sweet note that feels like it doesn't belong. 3. Product of Canada? Really? That's where we get our Indian food now?


Will I buy it again? 

Sadly, no, because chicken. I keep trying to do my small part to reduce the world's industrial poultry-farming, which even the most superficial look will tell you is pretty obscene.

2 comments:

  1. The regular (vegetarian) ones are good and chicken-free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frozen vegan tikka masala is my favorite of the indian options at TJs that i have tried, the veg samosas are great but also more of an appetizer than a meal unless you ahve multiple servings
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete