Monday, June 3, 2019

Trader Joe's Chewy Marshmallow Bar



Rice Krispie treats are wondrous things. But store-bought versions are always a big disappointment--dry and lifeless. Trader Joe's own version (which I think is no longer available, but I haven't checked in a long time) was appallingly, inedibly awful.

Trader Joe's has redeemed itself now. Their new version is without a doubt the best store-bought Rice Krispie treat I've ever had. (Don't @ me with quibbles about the name. I don't care if they don't use actual Kellogg's Rice Krispies, nor what name is on the package. They're Rice Krispie treats, period.) It's soft and chewy and sweet, with big islands of marshmallow generously scattered throughout.

The only problem I encountered was that eating one this good made me want more--but I had purchased just one.

Interestingly, TJ's appears to have used vegan marshmallows in making this; they have tapioca starch and carrageenan instead of animal-derived gelatin. But then they made it non-vegan by including butter. This seems like a peculiar choice. They're excluding a growing segment of potential customers by not making the relatively simple substitution of some form of margarine, after having made the seemingly more difficult replacement of the traditional gelatin. Why?


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. And next time, Ima try giving it a little microwave zap first, and see how close that comes to replicating the fresh-from-the-pan homemade kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment