Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Trader Joe's Multigrain Blend With Vegetables



This product is exactly what you would guess from the photo on the package: a mix of grains (barley, spelt, three kinds of rice) and vegetables (corn, peas, carrots, zucchini), plus some added ingredients for flavor (vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, onion). And it works well--perfectly serviceable as a side dish.

I have previously described microwaveable frozen sides as being super easy to prepare. Well, they've done that one better here, with no heating required. That's right: the recommended preparation is to just let it thaw to room temperature and serve. Well, OK, you do have to open the bag at some point.

I served it that way the first time, on the theory that proper testing of a new item requires doing it the way the manufacturer suggests. I didn't like it. It just felt wrong, as if I had forgotten a step in my meal preparation. Fortunately, the label helpfully informs us that it can also be served hot or even chilled. I've had it twice more after that first time, microwaved both times, and it was much more enjoyable.

It is a little bland. You might want to perk it up with more salt and/or pepper, your favorite hot sauce, or lemon juice.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I think it would be good to keep on hand as an all-purpose side dish. You could even add in a meat or meat substitute for an all-in-one main dish.


Nina's View

If you are bored with potatoes, so over pasta, plain rice gives you ennui, and can only cook quinoa so many times a week, allow me to recommend this frozen-up medley of stuff. It's good. I think it could be spectacular if appropriately tarted up and served hot.

It would also made a good base for a cool side-salad in summertime, again with an appropriately zingy dressing.

I would like to point out, with great happiness and pride, that my man is now thinking up recipe plans for meals (see, all-in-one main dish concept, above). KVELL!

7 comments:

  1. I topped it with a little bit of crumbled goat cheese- delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVED this as a side. This evening im going to pick up some chicken and do a bowl...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Chicken grain bowl!

      Delete
  3. I love this side so much, I heated it on the stove with a little olive oil and butter, sprinkle alittle seasoning and walla its done. I serve it with chicken or mix in ground turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this product often. It's a great side dish for vegetarian stews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try making soup with it!! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much I will buy 6 bags at a time, please Trader Joe's never stop carrying this!

    ReplyDelete