Thursday, April 23, 2015

Trader Joe's Multigrain Tortilla Chips



I'm ambivalent about these--so ambivalent, in fact, that the first time I sat down to write this review, I couldn't make up my mind what to say, and decided that I'd have to have another bag of them.

Well, now I've done that, and I'm still not sure. Here's the problem: They're not exactly what I expect when I open a bag of corn tortilla chips. The "multigrain" constituents definitely add some personality and complexity. That tends to happen when you start with corn, then throw in some black bean flakes, flaxseed, cracked wheat, oats, barley grits, soybean grits, wheat bran, sesame seeds, buckwheat grits, corn grits, and millet. (Yes, those are all in these chips.)

But on the other hand, they're not nearly as distinct and interesting as other TJ's chips, like the quinoa/black bean tortilla chips, or the blue corn with sprouted amarinth tortilla chips, or the veggie/flaxseed tortilla chips. So they're in this odd neither-fish-nor-fowl neverland. If I want plain corn tortilla chips, these aren't quite right. But if I'm feeling like having something non-corny in my chips, these aren't quite the item, either, because they're still mostly corn. See the dilemma?

I do like them. They serve perfectly well for whatever you might want to use tortilla chips for. I'm just not sure they're ever going to be my first choice over several other TJ's products when I actually have to pick one off the shelves.

Will I buy it again? 

As the Magic 8-Ball says, "Outlook not so good."



1 comment: