Sunday, November 22, 2015

Trader Joe's Corn Pudding



It's corn, eggs, milk, cream, butter, cheese, flour, sugar, basil, salt, and black pepper. How could it not be good? (I choose to ignore the fact that it also contains a small amount of the foul weed, onion.)

It's rich, sweet, yummy, decadent. A side dish that you just zap in the microwave and serve has no right to be good enough to earn a place in my Top Ten list--but that's what it has done.

If you still have a hole in your Thanksgiving menu, and you're not sure what additional side dish to have, pick up a carton of corn pudding. Unless you have guests who won't eat dairy, it's a guaranteed hit. Caution: Serves only two people, so you may need several packages.


Will I buy it again? 

It's probably not healthy for my cardiovascular system, but yes, dammit, some sacrifices must be made for the good life. I think that Trader Joe's rolls this out only around Thanksgiving, so maybe its seasonal scarcity will save me.


Nina's View

This is a really splendid example of convenience converging with comfort food. Yes, you could make this, and it probably would be relatively easy to do. Or, you could just buy the package and throw it in the microwave. Yes, you'll be adding to the nation's landfill overflow. Yes, there's probably more fat and salt in it that is strictly good for you. Your own version would definitely be healthier and less hard on the environment.

But you're not going to make your own, are you?

I thought not. So, if you're a dairy-eater, you're going to like this. (Maybe one of these days I'll try to make a vegan version of this. It will probably not be anywhere as good. But guiltlessness has a flavor all its own (for me, anyway).)

3 comments:

  1. Bob --

    I'm on a one-man campaign to save the very useful word "healthful" from the many who keep telling us that, for example, dead meat and Corn Pudding are not "healthy." Duh in the case of the dead meat; not sure how you'd judge the health of a Corn Pudding.

    Join me in my campaign, won't you?

    (Salubrious is another fine and underused word that also does not mean "healthy.")

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I did, you could no longer claim it to be a one-man campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a unilateralist. I am looking for a coalition of the willing!

    ReplyDelete