Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Trader Joe's Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Cranberries & Pecans



Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes*. Or of maple. Or of pecans.

So why would I put a product like this in my Trader Joe's shopping basket? Because my millions** of readers will be starting to plan their Thanksgiving dinner menus, and they will all want to know, "What does Bob think of this?"***

I pointed out this important function to Nina over dinner this week when we were first sampling this dish. She gently suggested that one who doesn't like the main ingredients in a product might not generate the most useful review of it for people who do. Sigh. I suppose she's right--again.

Kind of predictably, I didn't like this much. The sauce is too intensely sweet for my taste (which is saying something).

I sent the leftovers home with Nina. With any luck, she'll provide a more helpful perspective to our millions**** of readers.

Will I buy it again? 

No.


*That is not to say that I actively dislike them. I don't. I don't mind having them when somebody else serves them to me, but I never buy them for myself, and never order them in a restaurant.

**By which I mean "dozens."

***No, I have NOT been formally diagnosed with megalomania. Why do you ask?

****See ** above.


Nina's View

I liked this dish when Bob served it, although it needed more cooking than suggested to render the potatoes tender, and I found it a little too sweet (shocker, I know!). But I liked it even better when I ate the leftovers over the next few days.

I served half of it over some Melodious Blend, and the sweetness was tempered by marrying with the savory seasoning of the lentil/bean blend.

Then I made a breakfast "hash" by sautéing a little red onion in coconut oil, browning some unsweetened coconut shreds, adding the sweet potato leftovers, and putting a fried egg on top. So very, very good.


I'll buy this if it's still in the store next time I go.

2 comments:

  1. Nina's breakfast hash concoction sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you missed the part where she said it had onion in it.

    ReplyDelete