Saturday, November 7, 2015

Trader Joe's Multigrain Crackers



The first time I tried these was with TJ's muhammara. Nina was having the same, and she quickly pointed out how much sweeter the crackers were than the Pita Bite crackers, which we were just finishing up. I had not noticed that characteristic, and couldn't detect it even after she mentioned it. Perhaps it's because my palate is still a shamefully dull instrument--or perhaps it was because of the sweetness of the muhammara.

Later, however, I tried them with slices of a mildly flavored cheese, and almost immediately I could see what she meant. There was an unmistakable flavor of sweetness coming through--and it didn't mesh well with the cheese. A glance at the list of ingredients confirms the suspicion: Sugar is #3, after flour and oil.

I had hoped that these would be good general-purpose crackers. However, I think that the oddly prominent note of sweetness limits their use. Whatever you're putting on them basically has to be sufficiently strongly flavored to mask that--unless, of course, sweetness is a trait that you like in a cracker.

Will I buy it again? 

No. They have a nice texture, and are strong enough to hold whatever you want to put on them, without being tough to bite into. But crackers are not where I want to be tasting sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment