Monday, November 16, 2015

Trader Joe's Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette



Having recently discovering that I like Trader Joe's regular balsamic vinaigrette, I decided to try their fat-free version.

I was pleasantly surprised. If I taste the two dressings alone, on a fingertip, I can definitely tell which is which. This one is somewhat sweeter in taste and (obviously) less oily in mouthfeel. But when dribbled onto a salad, the difference mostly vanishes. I think this one is a little less flavorful overall, less fruity, but it's not a difference that I notice unless I'm actively paying attention. I'm just about as happy with either one.

Will I buy it again? 

I already have. I think I'll keep alternating between them for a while. If I eventually develop enough acuity of taste to really notice something lacking in the fat-free variety, maybe I'll abandon it. But for now, since the difference doesn't catch my attention, it seems an easy way to eliminate a little bit of unnecessary fat in my diet.

Addendum 

In the several months since I wrote the above, I have gone through three bottles of both this the regular version. In the rotation with them are my beloved raspberry vinaigrette, plus whatever non-TJ's salad dressing I'm auditioning. I continue to like both TJ's balsamics very much, and approximately equally.


1 comment:

  1. It's a really great low sodium dressing, but go figure, they tell me it's now been discontinued! Does anyone know of a similar such dressing with 170 MG. sodium or less?

    ReplyDelete