Friday, March 31, 2017

Trader Joe's Cara Cara Navel Oranges



I picked this up because I was intrigued by the teaser on the bag: "I'm an orange, but I'm pink."

And they kinda are, on the inside. Not as pink as pink grapefruit, not as dark red as blood oranges, but definitely pinker than standard oranges.

Incidentally, "Cara Cara" is a variety name, not a Trader Joe's thing. See Wikipedia, here.

I've had four of these now. In terms of flavor, one was outstanding. One was quite poor. Two were pretty average. All were admirably juicy.


Will I buy it again? 

No. It was an interesting experiment, but other than the novelty of the color, I'm not seeing any compelling reason to choose these over more typical varieties.

4 comments:

  1. I love fruit. Unfortunately we tend to let large bags ruin. We do better off to buy one or 2 oranges, apples, etc.

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these oranges. First discovered them last season and turned 2 bags into marmalade. I agree that this years were a little hit or miss on sweetness and quality though. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy the Sky Valley heirloom oranges in a bag and have bought 4 bags so far this year. They all have been outstanding. Give them a try if you find them. I almost don't want to share this information, but I will, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Citrus this year was really hit or miss in general. I always buy the cara cara oranges, they're a little less acidic, but this year there were more meh than good ones. Then again i could say the same about all the citrus this winter- just not a great year for it.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete