Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Trader Joe's Organic Grapefruit & Ginger Splash


I continue to mourn the loss of Trader Joe's Grapefruit Sunset juice every time I think about it. It was the Platonic ideal of grapefruit juice.

As if to offer a balm to my aching heart, TJ's has recently come up with this blend, combining grapefruit juice, ginger puree, and lime juice. The feeling is a lot like that created by the cute new puppy that can't ever really replace the beloved old mutt, but nevertheless makes you happy in his own way. I'll never like this as much as the Sunset (which, by the way, was always a strange name; wouldn't "Sunrise" have been more fitting?), but it's pretty darn good.

Grapefruit is the heavy hitter here. At first it seemed as if I were tasting just plain grapefruit juice. But then I noticed the pleasant little mouth burn from the ginger. Even after polishing off the bottle, my impression was that the ginger makes itself known more from that physical sensation than from flavor. TJ's swears there's lime in there, too, but I could not detect it. (Nina's experience on all of this was way different, but I'll leave that for her to explain, if she chooses to do so.)

Overall, this is one of the best juice blends TJ's has on offer.


Will I buy it again? 

Enthusiastically.

2 comments: