Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Trader Joe's Sliced Provolone Cheese


On the rare occasions that I go to a submarine sandwich shop, provolone is among my favorite cheeses to accompany slices of turkey on my sub. These days, I never make meat sandwiches for myself at home, but I do eat cheese pretty regularly on crackers as a late-night snack. I had never tried provolone for this purpose.

These slices are not especially convenient used this way, since they're sandwich-sized. That's not the fault of the product, obviously, but in retrospect I would have been better off buying a block of provolone instead of slices.

Nothing on the label identifies which sub-type of provolone this is, but it struck me as high in sharpness--a little too high, in fact, edging into bitterness. I was not a fan. I prefer milder forms.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

5 comments:

  1. we love cheese. I've bought Provolone for subs before. But, we mainly keep cheddar and mozzarella in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ's provolone is great for melting! I use it on top of the TJ's french onion soup, for grilled cheese, or added to a TJ's frozen pizza. It's too sharp raw but melted it's divine! You're probably so used to grocery store provolone which is fairly tasteless. This stuff is the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the flavor was because it expired in may of 2016...?? :P
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tastes ok but it has a strong smell that is a turn off.

    ReplyDelete