Thursday, January 25, 2018

Trader Joe's Goat's Milk Gouda Cheese




After two recent bad experiences with goat cheese (see here and here), I had sworn off of the stuff entirely. But then two commenters piped up with glowing things to say about Trader Joe's goat milk Gouda. OK, OK--I'll try one more.

I'm glad I did. It's good.

I had it at the same time as the TJ's Double Cream Gouda, so I could compare them side by side. I had a hard time deciding which I liked better. (Nina did not. She thought this one was far superior.) They are so different, though, that it's kind of hard to believe that they can both be called Goudas.

As promised by my commenters, it lacks the icky goat funk that ruined the others for me. Even TT Rockwood might like it!


Will I buy it again? 

Yes, in spite of my previous no-goat pledge. Now there is at least one goat cheese that I actually like.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this, and my recommendation didn't lead you astray. I've been wanting to try the Canadian cheddar you like so much, but it hasn't been at my local Trader Joe's the last two times I've looked. I hope they're still carrying it for your sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Picking my jaw up off the floor)))
    Wow.
    You know i’ll definitely pick it up on my next TJs trip, apparently goat dairy is something that should be fine for me (which sucks since i hate about all of it) so it’s worth risking a few bucks!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((Picking jaw up off of floor)))
    Wow.
    This could be a Big Discovery! I have diligently tried so many goat dairy products because cows milk dairy hates me and theoretically goats dairy should be fine- except for the fact i hate it all so far...!
    I’ll certainly pick this up on my next trip to TJs, worth risking a few bucks from what you’re saying. And the dr cow nut based cheeses i like are a rare treat due to cost. (SO worth it though)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cows milk cheese (most of them) have A1 protein, which upsets the stomach for some, that's why goat/ sheep cheese are better. Also this cheese is from Holland where the breeding conditions are better

    ReplyDelete