Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Trader Joe's Gluten Free Oat Cranberry Flax Seed Cookies



This is a new product; see the company's own description of it here.

I didn't hold out much hope for this. Trader Joe's gluten-free cookies have been an ongoing source of disappointment. (See here for all of them.) And "flax seed" doesn't exactly make my mouth water with memories of Mom's homemade.

But the first one was not as bad as I had anticipated. The second seemed even better. Mind you, I don't love them the crazy way that the good folks at the What's Good at Trader Joe's blog do, with their perfect 10 score. But after Nina had two, and decided that that was enough, I happily finished off the rest.

The cranberries are heavily sweetened, to the point that it's hard to recognize them as such. I think the cookies would be better if the berries were left with more tartness, as a point of contrast.

Strangely, the saving grace is one of the last ingredients listed, and one that didn't make it into the product title: cinnamon. I think that without that, these would be pretty lifeless.

Really, TJ's--we need to have a talk about packaging. A plastic box to throw on the landfill, just to hold six cookies? Seriously?


Will I buy it again? 

No. They're OK, but with so many truly great cookies in the world, I won't settle for just "OK."

2 comments:

  1. I bought these on the strong review from the what’s good at tjs and they certainly surpassed my expectations and were delicious. But they weren’t Mind Blowing Amazing Worth Extra Time At The Gym Because I Ate them All in Two Days kind of cookies for me. (Those i have had only from a few excellent bakeries and my mom’s cookies which beat any bakery anywhere) I’ll buy them again on occasion, but I certainly agree on your point re: packaging. TJs needs to step up to the plate and work on biodegradable packaging as a priority.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loved these, and they were gluten free and not loaded with carbs. Unfortunately, like other TJ products, these were suddenly discontinued.

    ReplyDelete