Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Trader Joe's Italian Marinara Sauce With Barolo Wine


As far as I can remember, I've never before bought pasta sauce with wine. But it was on the new-products shelf at Trader Joe's, so of course I had to try it.

The wine flavor is strong--far more than I expected. And I don't like wine.

But surprise! I like this. I like it a lot. It has a nice acidic bite, and the heavy grapeyness (but not really grape, if you know what I mean) adds an unexpectedly delightful and harmonious overtone.

It has quickly joined my list of favorite TJ's pasta sauces, along with this one, this one, this one, this one, and this one--and it's completely unlike any of them.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! The flavor isn't as strong as the scent and it's probably the best bought pasta sauce I've ever had. I may like it even more than homemade. I added ground beef and sautéed mushrooms to it and it didn't alter the flavor at all. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just tried this for the first time this past weekend, my grocery store standby is actually a cabernet marinara from newman’s own and this was easily as good if not better. I actually used it as the sauce for a ratatouille ontop of rounds of that polenta from a tube that i just crisped the edges of the slices in a skillet.
    I’ll definitely purchase this regularly too
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried this yet, but have tried Barolo -- back in the days before red wine led to 3 a.m. wakeup calls. Outstanding Italian red!

    ReplyDelete