Thursday, May 14, 2015

Trader Joe's Albacore Tuna




If you didn't think buying tuna was already complicated enough, what with the skipjack and yellowfin and bluenose and bigeye or whatever, Trader Joe's goes and throws three different albacore tunas at you.

The only difference appears to be the salt. They have no salt added, salt added, and then one in between--half salt.

I made each of these into tuna salad sandwiches two days in a row, with a few days between each experiment. I could tell no difference between them. Maybe I could if I tried them side by side, but not the way I did it. Which means that I would probably just go for the no salt added, or maybe the half salt variety.

Or at least I would if I were planning to keep getting this--which I'm not. I like light tuna better than albacore (white), perhaps just because that's what I was raised with. Light is also cheaper. As a final benefit, it has only about 1/3 as much mercury as albacore, on average, according to a recent article I read in Consumer Reports magazine.

Will I buy it again? 

I'm not planning to.

No comments:

Post a Comment