Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Trader Joe's Organic Tricolor Quinoa



Prior to this purchase, I had never bought quinoa before. I would have said that I had never ever eaten it, except as a minor component of some dish or salad at a restaurant--but when I said that to Nina, she told me that she had served it to me before. I believe her, though I still don't really remember it.

Anyway, the point is that quinoa is still basically a new thing to me, so once again I have no mental database against which to compare this particular product. (If you've noticed that I say that a lot, you'll understand what a limited range of food has been my diet most of my life, and what a change it is to have decided to expand and explore.)

That said, I liked it. It was super-easy to prepare perfectly in my rice cooker (add 2 parts water, press the switch, and walk away). It's pretty. It tastes good. It seems that I can use it nearly everywhere I would otherwise use rice. I'm not sure it's better than rice, but it's a nice little change-up.

How it might compare to other quinoa, I'm not qualified to say. If we're lucky, Nina might chime in on that.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes, though I'd like to try some other varieties first, before coming back to this one.


Nina's View

I like quinoa.

I have indeed served it to Bob before, as I generally blend it half-and-half with rice. They have the same cooking times and proportions, and you get something like a nice textured pilaf as a result. It has a nutty flavor and a toothsome little chew to it.

I like plain quinoa. I like tricolor quinoa. I like red quinoa. It's all good. (And good for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment