Monday, January 8, 2018

Trader Joe's Goat Milk Cheddar Cheese



I don't remember seeing this before last week, when I bought it. I think the whole idea of a goat mild cheddar would have caught my attention if I had spotted it before. I didn't know there was such a thing.

After trying it, I would be OK if there weren't such a thing.

It does not remind me of standard cow's milk cheddar. It reminds me only of goat.

From now on, I'm going to join frequent commenter T.T. Rockwood and just say no to goat's milk products. As she puts it, "They ALL have that goat-y funk and taste vaguely like wet barn."


Will I buy it again? 

No.


Addendum, January 21, 2018: 

Well. Looking back through my archives for something else, I found this review of TJ's English Goat Milk Cheddar Cheese. So despite my statement above, I did, in fact, at one time know that goat-milk cheddar cheese existed. But I had completely forgotten about it. (I don't think this is the same product as that one.)

5 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the Goat Milk Cheddar and I won't because I see no point in paying $10/pound for this when I can buy the English Coastal Cheddar I like so much for $8/pound. I tried the Servilleta and it didn't do anything for me, but only because it was bland, not because it tasted "goat-y." Having said all of that, you're missing out if you don't try the Goat's Milk Gouda. Cheese Sex Death (now there's a name for a blog) says it "might be the crown gem of the Trader Joe’s cooler," and I'd have to agree. I rarely even eat the Gouda with crackers, which just detract from the silky goodness of the cheese. It does make a great grilled cheese though. I've also had the Goat Milk Brie, which doesn't rise to the exalted level of the Gouda but is still very good, and several of the Chevres, which are all good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. Well, maybe I'd better hold off on the no-goat pledge for a bit then.

      Delete
    2. I love the Goat's Milk Gouda.

      Disclaimer: I love many goat's milk cheeses. YMMV.

      Delete
  2. Haha, yup!! My sister tricked me into trying this one claiming it was "nothing like any other goat cheese". I had some choice verbage for her and this cheese.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I saw this cheddar style cheese and was intrigued mainly because I haven’t come across a cheddar made from goats milk. I wasn’t crazy about the taste overall, but wouldn’t say it’s that bad, just different. I started buying goats milk products because for years I’ve had issues with regular cows milk and goats milk is the best alternative. I discovered that with this cheese I had a similar reaction as with the goats milk just not as bad. I w looking at the ingredients abs was surprised to see second ingredient is cheese cultures (milk) and also says contains milk at the end. So if you are trying to avoid regular milk products, I wouldn’t recommend trying this cheese. Somewhat disappointed as the name and package leads you to believe it’s 100% goats cheese.

    ReplyDelete