Sunday, May 24, 2015

Trader Joe's Chicken Balti Pies



This is an unexpected Day 6 in a row of reviews of brand-new Trader Joe's products. 

I was in the store yesterday (Saturday) when I saw a big sign on the freezer case announcing this new product. I bought it and had for lunch one of the two pies it contains. The item is so new that a Google search finds literally zero hits about it--nothing on TJ's own web site, no images, etc. I'm sure that will change quickly, however.

I had next to no idea what to expect. I had never heard of "balti" before. According to Wikipedia,
Balti is a type of curry served in a thin, pressed-steel wok called a "balti bowl." It is served in restaurants throughout the United Kingdom, and the consensus appears to be that the term refers to the pot in which the curry is cooked, rather than to any specific ingredient or cooking technique. 
There are several theories regarding the origin of Balti and balti-style dishes. Some believe it was invented in Birmingham, England, while others believe it originated in northern Pakistan in the region called Baltistan, whence it spread to Britain

Some of the seasonings are expected (curry powder, mustard, paprika); others surprising, at least to me (coriander, brown sugar, nigella seeds).

The overall result is kind of a weird mashup between British and Indian. Depending on exactly what my fork picked up, sometimes it tasted like a slightly spicy chicken pot pie, and sometimes like a curry dish in a crust.

It's that neither-fish-nor-fowl characteristic that dampened my enthusiasm for it in the end. It did not feel like a successful blend of two traditions, but more like the creators couldn't make up their minds what they wanted it to be. Maybe the chefs really wanted to make it more distinctly Indian, but the Trader Joe's Blandification Committee made them tone it down. If so, it's a shame. I think it would work better if they went full-bore on the spices. That is, have the form be British, but the taste clearly Indian. I think that would be interesting and delicious meld of cuisines. Going halfway isn't working.

Cook time per the instructions was OK, but not ideal. I used the maximum of the 45-50 minutes recommended, and for the second one I'll extend that another five minutes, because it was not quite hot all the way through. This is a recurring problem with TJ's frozen goods.

Will I buy it again? 

No. It's a good idea that falls short of success by not being carried through to its logical conclusion.


Addendum 

I liked the second one better than the first. I expect part of this was the extra cook time, so it was genuinely hot throughout. Some of it may also have been that I knew what to expect, so there wasn't the clash between my expectations (which initially had been of a hotter curry dish) and reality. Maybe I'll rethink whether I would buy it again.

10 comments:

  1. You do know that you live in a free country, right? And that no one is going to come and arrest you should you not follow cooking instructions to the letter? And that you won't be dragged off to the nearest gulag should you - gasp! - put the item back in the oven and cook it a little longer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Balti Pies are footie food! The pie is all British and the curry is all wonderful with beer. Dont over think it, dont under cook it. You want more spice... add a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my tastebuds were doing the happy dance. this is soooo good. A little common sense goes a long way however for some people common sense isn"t so common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A coworker had me try hers and I fell in love. I will be going to TJ's tomorrow to buy some for myself and my family. It was like a party in my mouth. As for cooking instructions, some of have to live outside of the box and go with what we have...microwave and/or toaster oven. However she cooked it this am for our break she can do it again...Yummy to my tummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an English expat I was in heaven, they are exactly right and as someone else commented they are footie food. we served some to friends over to watch the England game and they were even more popular that the steak and ale (also pretty good) Thank you TJ's for a taste of home

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pies are amazing. I'm scared to find out it was so newly introduced because then it might go away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they're now discontinued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good so they discontinued them, bummer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bring these back TJs! We loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought some so they are back! They are soooo good.....

    ReplyDelete