Monday, May 25, 2015

Trader Joe's Kettle Popped Sweet & Salty Popcorn Chips



Once again, it's difficult to tell from the package where the name of the product ends and some extra verbiage describing it begins. If I threw in the "whole grain with chia seeds, flax seeds, whole quinoa, sunflower seeds," it would, I think, become the longest product name yet.

I tried to like these. I had them on at least four separate occasions, many days apart. But they never sat right with me.

First, I'm just not a fan of mixing sweet and salty. It seems to be a big fad in the food industry in recent years, and it doesn't do anything for me. That's true here, too, even though the "sweet" part is pretty subdued.

Second, even if I discount that issue, I don't think these taste much like popcorn. Sure, I can sense that there is popcorn in them, but its presence is confused by the cacophony of other flavors produced by the various other grain and seed components.

Third, the texture is dry and chewy, like rice cakes--not crispy. The spareness of the salt is also reminiscent of rice cakes.

In fact, there's almost nothing I like about these.

Will I buy it again? 

No.


Nina's View

Sigh.

These are just delicious. A little sweet, a little salty, some flavorful grains and seeds. They're not really appetizer- or dip-friendly though, although maybe you could put a dab of peanut butter on them. They're almost desserty.

I'm not much given to buying chips and such. But I like these enough that if I were hosting a party I would get some, and Bob could just snack on something else. In fact, they go into my Top Ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment