Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Trader Joe's World's Puffiest White Cheddar Corn Puffs



I like cheesy corn puffs. I was raised on those things. (We called them "corn curls.") I could like these, too, if it weren't for the feature that gives rise to their boastful name. They are indeed (at least as far as I know) the world's puffiest.

But that means that they're mostly air. Maybe that's true of other brands, too, but it's taken to an extreme here. The sad result is that you put one of these in your mouth, crunch down on it, and it disappears. It's just gone, leaving behind a little cheesy corn dust. The sensation is a lot like that of eating cotton candy--there's nothing there.

I found that experience to be so frustrating and annoying and just downright weird that I couldn't enjoy these, even though I admit that they have a nice flavor. If only that flavor were actually on something....

Will I buy it again? 

No.


Nina's View

Everything that Bob doesn't like about these is pretty much the reason why I like them. They are the zipless crunch of the snack-food world. (Am I the only person who remembers Erica Jong? Probably.) Because they pretty much disappear in your mouth, they feel guiltless—yet they do have a cheesy but not chemical flavor.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE that Erica Jong reference!

    ReplyDelete