Saturday, May 9, 2015

Trader Joe's Dried White Peaches



As you must know by now, I'm a big fan of dried fruit as a late-night snack. Trader Joe's has a bigger selection of dried fruit than I've ever seen in any other store. This has led me to try things that I didn't even know existed. This is one of them. I assume that one can buy dried peaches other places, but if I've ever been in a store that sold them, I didn't notice.

Of course, one of the best parts of eating a peach is the juiciness. And, of course, that is precisely what gets taken out to make dried peaches. (Somehow this reminds me of one definition of poetry: it's what gets lost in translation.) For some fruits, this is an advantage: I prefer dried apricots to fresh ones, because the flavor and sweetness seem to get concentrated. For others, it's disastrous: see freeze-dried raspberries.

My impression of dried peaches is about the same as dried apples: they're not as good as the fresh version, but still plenty good enough to enjoy. They have the tremendous advantage of being available whenever you want them, without having to run to the store on an impulse, and without having to eat as many as you bought before they go bad in a few days. And even without the juice, they retain the nice flavor of real peaches. Obviously the full sensory experience is kind of lacking, but that's the price you pay for longer shelf life.

These are very filling. Three or four of them, and I'm done, which means that there's lots of nights of snacking in one bag.

All in all, a welcome addition to the world of dried fruits.

Will I buy it again? 

I'm not nearly as hooked on these as I am dried apricots, but yes, I'll definitely add them to the rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment