Friday, May 29, 2015

Trader Joe's Grilled Cauliflower



A big sign in the Asheville Trader Joe's the other day called my attention to this brand-new item. The only information available online about it so far is on TJ's own web site, here.

As you can infer from the name and photo, they have done the grilling for you. All you have to do is heat it up. The package says 13-15 minutes at 400 degree. For once, I think I'd stick with that, even though the instructions invite you to go longer if you want more of a grilled character to the cauliflower. That would probably be fine for the larger pieces. However, there are many tiny pieces that I think would be charred inedible if left in any longer.

I liked the flavor. You can definitely taste the smoky grilled flavor. The cauliflower is left unseasoned, which in this case I think is the right choice; let users decide for themselves whether to add salt, butter, hot sauce, etc.

Will I buy it again? 

Yep. I liked it. I eat a lot of cauliflower, and this made for a nice change, with almost no effort.


Nina's View

Meh. This did nothing special for me. I like oven-roasted cauliflower, but I generally add a little oil and look for some carmelization to boost flavor, and some crispness for texture interest. 

These just had char, and not very flavorful char, imo. The cauliflower itself was still bland and watery-tasting. 

I would not push my cart to the other side of the aisle for this bag of vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment