Thursday, May 7, 2015

Trader Joe's Organic Roasted Tomatillo Gazpacho Soup





This appears to be a brand-new product at Trader Joe's, the latest in their line-up of refrigerated soups.

I've never had gazpacho before, so I was kind of looking forward to this, even realizing that it had onions in it.

It sure didn't turn me into a fan of the genre--and it wasn't just because of the onions. Nina came up with the perfect description of it, but I don't want to steal her thunder. I'll just say that it wasn't so awful that I couldn't finish one bowl of it, but it was bad enough that I think the leftover is going to go down the garbage disposal--or maybe back to the store. I offered to let Nina take it home, and she politely declined.

Will I buy it again? 

Nope.


Nina's View

Well. 

First if all, I would like to commend Bob for bravely trying this product, despite the evidence that it contains The Vegetable Whose Name Must Not Be Spoken. 

Second: I like a good gazpacho. Nothing says "summer" quite like a cool bowl of chopped and puréed fresh flavorful produce. So refreshing! So bright! A palate-tingling delight!

Third: This was not that. This was essentially a sad, watered-down, overly oniony (yes, there is such a thing) salsa with a stale, sour undernote. This did not deserve the proud name of Gazpacho.

Fourth: When my CSA starts providing me with fabulous produce, I shall make a gazpacho worthy of the name and deliver it unto my beloved, and he shall like it. Or not. In either case it will wash the taste of this offender from my mouth, hallelujah and amen.

Fifth: Don't buy it. It is a recipe for disappointment (if you are already familiar with gazpacho) or a bad place to start (if you are not). 


No comments:

Post a Comment