Friday, August 7, 2015

Trader Joe's Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread



We're approaching the end of Gluten-Free Week on the blog--specifically, Day 6: 



I have seen at least a dozen people on Twitter exclaim that this is the best gluten-free bread they have ever found--so I decided I should try it.

I didn't like it one little bit. First of all, like the gluten-free white sandwich bread,  the slices are inexplicably tiny. Here's how one of them looks compared to a standard slice of sourdough bread, on a standard-sized dinner plate:



So to get the equivalent of two pieces of toast, for example, you have to use four slices of this stuff. You can't make a regular sandwich--just mini-sandwiches.

Second, there's almost no flavor, and almost no texture. The bread just kind of dissolves in your mouth. I find it to be an unpleasant experience.

Maybe I would get used to it if I had a health condition that required me to abstain from gluten, but since that isn't so, I see no need to accept such compromises.

However, it did do one good thing for me: it taught me a new word. Look closely at the picture of the label, right under "Whole Grain Bread." See the last word? Teff.  WTF is teff? Turns out it's another ancient grain. Hello, Wikipedia. Maybe teff will be the next big thing at Trader Joe's, now that they have pretty much saturated everything they make with quinoa.

Will I buy it again? 

No.

4 comments:

  1. I really don't understand why anyone is does not have celiac would want to go gluten-free. For those of us who have it - this is the BEST bread under the sun....
    truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not celiac but I am sensitive to gluten. For example, my knees ache when I eat it. That said, an deference to your situation, I love this bread too. Nothing beats it in my book! Thanks for defending it.

      Delete
  2. I love this bread... while it is small, it totally satisfies my craving. It doesn't have all the crap in there, low in sodium and isn't heavy like a brick. It's great toasted with TJ's peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete