Thursday, September 18, 2014

Trader Joe's Broccoli & Cauliflower Duet



I eat a lot of packaged broccoli/cauliflower mixes, with or without carrots. They're three vegetables that I like, and they go great together. I could save money buying the raw items and cutting them up myself, but I'm lazy. I like the florets that come in these packages.

There are a couple of national brands, and every grocery store chain has its own store brand. They're mostly indistinguishable from each other.

But Trader Joe's version has one key advantage on the others: All the rest skimp on the cauliflower. I'm guessing that it's more expensive than broccoli, because every single packager messes up the ratio. Seriously, they typically run about 4:1 broccoli:cauliflower. TJ's is the only one that pretty consistently comes close to delivering cauliflower equity.

All else being equal (and it basically is), that's plenty of reason for me to choose the TJ's preferentially over the others.

Will I buy it again? 

You bet yer broccoli I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment