Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Trader Joe's Organic Stone Ground Blue Corn Tortilla Chips With Sprouted Amaranth, Quinoa & Chia Seeds



This is another contestant for the title of longest Trader Joe's product name.

These chips are the ones I've been pairing with the olive hummus. It's a good match, I think. The chips are substantial and thick. One gripe, though: the bag I purchased had way, way too many that were broken. Of course some always will be, but this bag had more broken than intact chips. I'm willing to assume that that's a problem that arose in the handling of this particular bag, not a problem intrinsic to their manufacture.

The chips are pretty, though still no match for the rainbow of the Veggie & Flaxseed Tortilla Chips. They're also less interesting and complex in flavor. I was unable to pick out anything except the corn base. That is, if the amaranth (something I had never heard of before seeing it on this bag), quinoa, and chia add anything to the taste, I missed it. I just ate two more with no dip before committing myself to that position, and I stand by it.

Still, I like them better than ordinary tortilla chips, partly because they're far more attractive, partly because they're thick and not brittle, partly because the seeds add a distinct texture upon chewing, partly because it's easy to believe that the three extra components makes them at least marginally more healthful than plain corn chips.

Will I buy it again? 

Probably, though not often. The main barrier to bringing them home more often is going to be their proximity to the ones I like even better. Good chips have trouble competing against great ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment